I had an opportunity to speak with a representative from Lucke Homes today at our weekly staff meeting. She provided me a list of tips for helping our buyers are educated on builders they are hiring. Here are some questions that you should ask your builder to determine how
1. Check with the Cincinnati Home Builder Association (HBA) to see if the builder is in good standing.
2. Are they paying their subcontractors on time?
3. Are they in good standing with the Better Business Bureau and do they have complaints filed against them?
4. Call the last 3 to 4 home owners for a reference regarding the on-time completion and quality of their last few home constructions?
5. Is the home warranty through the builder or an insurance company and does it follow HBA standards?
6. How many employees manage construction of your home?
7. Do they have an in-house selection center to make your choices?
8. Does the builder have a Service Department to service the home after construction is completed and you are living there?
9. Is the builder in good standing with the State of Ohio?
Remember that although there are real estate agents present at most new subdivisions, those agents represent the builder. It is important to have buyer representation when building a new home. Please remember that builders have already figured in a buyer’s agent commission so you will not be penalized for having a buyer’s agent. If you are in the market for a new construction home contact me Alison.Moss@Comey.com for a free consultation and representation.